Pricing your home to sell
When selling your home, one of the hardest things can be deciding on the price. You've called me in as an expert to sell your home and price it so it will sell. We're truly dedicated to gaining you the most money you can receive from that sale. In addition, we recognise there are many reasons why you already have a certain price in mind. You may be considering...
- Your Original Purchase Price - Chances are you paid market value. But markets change and today we have to deal with the current market conditions which may have changed significantly.
- Improvements - Should be made for enjoyment not for resale. You cannot add an item to a home, select it to your style, use it, then expect a buyer to pay the original cost. Likewise, maintenance preserves the value, but does not create value. If you needed a new roof, it was needed as a maintenance requirement and cannot be added to the market price of your home.
- Your Need for Money - Your need for money of the fact that you are moving to a more expensive area where you will have to pay more for a home has nothing to do with the homes current market value.
- The Cost Attachment to the Property
- Your Personal Attachment to the Property
These factors above may influence the price in your mind; but as you can see, they really have nothing to do with what your home is actually worth on today's market.
Over many successful years selling homes, we have frequently heard comments from sellers, such as:-
- "Another agent said it was worth more."
- "People always offer less than the asking price."
- "The buyers can always make an offer."
- "My neighbour was able to get this price."
- "My house is better that these other homes."
- "We paid more that that for our home ."
- "We just painted and added new carpet..."
- "I need this much money for our next house."
Although some of these comments may be true, they are not necessarily valid when it comes to decided on the right price.